Thursday, March 22, 2007

Can't wait for Spring Break

Ok, so everyone else just tell stories, so I can too. There's no law that says that the blog has to have pictures, so stop judging me.

So, tonight I went to the meeting for volunteer coachs for Bailey's soccer team we signed her up for (coach's kid gets to play for free, I know, we're cheap). She is just beyond excited to play "real soccer." I've been sneaking her into the sports class I teach at the Community Center and she has just loved it (and been dominating, she's not afraid to push anyone out of her way to get to that ball!) Sometimes I get a little embarrassed that she's so aggressive. Well, it's funny to see all the "Joe Softballs" out there that think that the "non-competitive" rec league will be their ticket to the NBA, MLS, MLB, or some other league. I actually had a coach for some 8 year olds yelling in the kid's face to "play some D" while the parents were heckling and booing the referee. I thought, "great, here's my chance to get on CNN!" I ask the crowd to calm down and be good role models for the kids and demonstrate some good sportsmanship. Well, you can imagine how this was received! Some grandpa starts yelling at me how "my ref is cheating" etc. etc. Well, had to kick his scooter-riding-bum right out of that game. Sorry grandpa, but little Timmy's gonna have to play without his "PaPa." He wanted to start a fight with me, but I just stepped on his oxygen hose until he passed out. I'm sure someone will find him in the closet I stuffed him in. Well, he's got to learn sometime, right?

4 comments:

Scott and Karin said...

My mom told me a story of when my dad was refereeing for a church game and some woman on the sidelines kept yelling at the ref's for how they were calling the game. After a while he stopped the game, asked her to take his whistle, and ref the rest of the game (he's not getting paid, why would he care). She was somewhat embarrassed that he stopped the game for this and refused to ref. My dad then just called the game right there and announced the other team the winning team (apparently they were already winning anyways).

Amazing how some people just don't get it when it comes to why we REALLY have sports programs for children.

I can't remember one time I've heard my Father complain to refs during any of my games when I was younger (and he was our coach). It's not about the refs (apparently some parents feel that's the one thing they can control), winning is a bonus but it is not ultimate goal. Enjoying the game and playing your best, that is the ultimate goal.....especially for a 5 year old.

sydney said...

AMEN! Kick the wierdo out. For sophie's soccer team, all the parents had to line ref the game immediately following our game once during the season. So, i had to do it because, surprise, doug was out of town. Toward the end of the first half the coach from the other team came up to me and said,

"Will you please have the ref explain OFF SIDES to you??? This is a really important game and if we lose because of you i'm going to be really upset."

I felt about 2 inches tall and vowed never to do it again.

It only got worse when i tried to switch sides with the other line ref after half time. Apparently, that's not the way it works.

I tried to play it cool, but i was PRAYING for that stupid game to be over.

Never again. Never, ever again.

Scott and Karin said...

You should've pulled the red card on him Emily. Sheesh, haven't you learned anything about soccer?

dwellsfam said...

Em, I can't tell how appropriate the last line of your comment is.

"Never again. Never, ever again."

Ha Ha! Classic.